Our web address has changed. Please update your bookmarks

Public services

 

 

 

 

 

 Topics Index

 

Factsheets

 

 

 Fire Brigade

Water

Gas/Electric 

Ambulance

Police

Magistrates

 

 

 

Fire Brigade

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

By 1872, Morley had over 20 mills engaged in the manufacture of cloth, and the owners were not happy about the high fire insurance premiums, so they decided to form a company of their own, and The Morley Mutual Fire Insurance Company came into existence on 18th June 1872.  A steam fire-engine was purchased at a cost of 800, and eleven part-time firemen were recruited, with George Albert Firth being appointed Captain of the brigade. The fire-engine was drawn by two horses loaned from James Clegg and Sons and when a fire was notified they were harnessed and then released.  They would gallop on their own down Wesley Street, across Queen Street and a short distance down Peel Street to the fire-station.  No mains water supply was available, but underground water tanks had been built at strategic points and water from mill dams was often used. Mill fires were very common and some mills were never rebuilt after having been devastated by fire.  These include Low Moor (Sarah Dixon's), Albion Mills (R & J Horsfall), Rods Mill (Isaac Watson), Daisy Hill Mill and Hembrigg Mill.

 

Morley Council became responsible  for fire-fighting in the Borough in 1902, and the service became known as the Morley Corporation Fire Brigade.  In 1906, new premises were erected in Wellington Street, behind the Town Hall.  The Leyland and Dennis machines were brought into service in 1921, the pumps being driven from the engine's motor system, which was a tremendous step forward. The Morley Mutual was taken over by the London and Lancashire Insurance Company in 1916.

 

The Service grew in strength, and just before WWII it was put on a full time basis.  The Corporation ran a well-equipped Brigade of 24 men, and the equipment included Leyland and Dennis petrol-driven engines, fire escapes and other apparatus.  An Auxiliary Fire Service of part-time firemen was formed in 1938 and occupied an empty building in Wesley Street, becoming the N.F.S in 1941. The Borough Brigade continued using the Wellington Street station until 1940, when the whole of the fire-fighting service became based in Wesley Street. On 1st April 1948, the Morley Fire Brigade came under the jurisdiction of the West Riding County Fire Authority. The present Fire Station in Corporation Street was built in 1961, and officially opened on 17th February 1962 by the Mayor, Councillor L.J. Finnigan.  The public owes a deep debt of gratitude to the fire-service for their prompt attention in dealing with fires and saving lives.

Top

Water

 

Top     Wells map

 

Gas and Electricity

 

Top

 

Ambulance

 

Top

 

Police

 

Top