‘Gertrude’, the steam engine used in the Crank Mill

'Gertrude', the steam engine used in the Crank Mill

‘Gertrude’, the steam engine used in the Crank Mill

1910c. This steam engine was installed in 1901 and removed in 1949 when electric power was used in the Mill – The Crank which was originally (1790) the first steam-powered Woollen mill in the country. This photo stood on the desk of Phillip Kirk who was Managing Director of the Crank for a time. He was the last of the 3 Kirk brothers to run the mill as Kirk & Steele Ltd.

Related Images: