Churches_Morley-Bruntcliffe

Churches and Chapels in Bruntcliffe and Morley

 

 

Bruntcliffe

Bruntcliffe Methodist Chapel
Bruntcliffe Cemetery Chapel

 

Haigh’s Chapel
Kingdom Hall

 

 St Andrew’s Church

Morley

The Catholic Apostolic Church
Banks Hill Chapel
The Baptist Tabernacle
 The Bethel Chapel
 The Birks Chapel
The Brunswick Chapel
 
The Church of Christ
The Church of Latter Day Saints
 
Cross Hall Fletcher Memorial Chapel
 The Morley Community Church
The Ebenezer Chapel
Morley Friends Adult School
The National Spiritualist Church
 
The Nazarene Pentecostal Church
 
The Newlands Methodist Chapel
Central Methodist Chapel
 The Rehoboth Chapel
 
St. Francis of Assisi Church
Morley Old Chapel
 Morley New Old Chapel
 
St. Mary’s-in-the-Wood Church
St. Mary’s Mission Chapel
 St. Paul’s Church
St. Peter’s Church
 The Morley Spiritualist Church
The Salvation Army
The Temperance Hall
The Zion Independent Chapel
 The Zoar Particular Baptist Chapel
 

 

Bruntcliffe

Bruntcliffe Methodist Chapel
Location Howden Clough Road
Denomination Primitive Methodist
Known History Erected in 1895. Architect: Mr. T. A. Buttery
Notes Original Cost of Building £1,150. It could seat 250 people.
Present Use Converted to House
 To Top  
Bruntcliffe Cemetery Chapel
Location Bruntcliffe Cemetery, Bruntcliffe Lane
Denomination Used by different faiths
Known History Built 1884. Consecrated 27 May 1885.
Notes  It was demolished in September 1975.
Present Use Area landscaped
 To Top  
Haigh’s Chapel
Location Chapel Street, Bruntcliffe, now Meadowbrook Court.
Denomination New Connection
Known History Built by Messrs John Haigh owners of Victoria Colliery

 
Notes Known as Iron Chapel. In the  1880s it was let to St Peter’s Church (Anglican) and used as a Church Mission. Replaced by brick built building named Methodist New Connection
Use of Site Meadowbrook Court Houses
 To Top  
Kingdom Hall
Location Bruntcliffe Road
Denomination Jehovah’s Witnesses
Known History Purpose built Building, first Kingdom Hall across road.

 
Notes  
Use of Site  
 To Top  
St. Andrew’s Church
Location St. Andrew’s Avenue
Denomination Anglican
Known History Consecrated: 30-Nov-1891 (St Andrew’s Day). Foundation Stone of Sunday School: 28-July-1894, opened in Oct-1895.
Notes  Cost  of church: £2500. Booklet published by Mrs. F.E. Street on the 90th anniversary of the Chuch.
Present Use Active
 To Top  

Morley

   
The Catholic Apostolic Church
Location Zoar Street Morley
Denomination Catholic Apostolic
Known History 1867
Notes Originally it was formed the Old Town School on Troy Hill which was adapted for its use in 1867. It moved to Zoar Street around 1900.
Present Use Used By Spiritualist Church
 To Top  
Banks Hill Chapel
Location New Bank Street
Denomination Wesleyan Methodist
Known History Opened 1894. Architect: Mr. T. A. Buttery
Notes Building was used as Industrial unit until destroyed by fire 2015
Present Use Demolished
To Top  
The Baptist Tabernacle
Location Commercial Street Morley
Denomination Baptist
Known History First Building 1874. Second Building built 1886 & opened 1887.
Notes Foundation Stones laid by 1874 by: Mr. David Hartley 1896 Charles Scarth, Philip Henry Booth, T. C. Watson, Tom Swallow, Samuel Sharp and Crowther Haberghan. Built to the designs of John Simpson of Leeds.
Present Use Since closure the building has being owned by the CRS and Butterworth & Pilkingtons before it was  converted into Apartments
 To Top  
The Bethel Chapel
Location Commercial Street Morley
Denomination (Free) Methodist
Known History First opened 1858.  Closed 1968
Notes Enlarged and improved and a vestry added in 1873. Seating for 500 people. The basement had a residence for Chapel keeper and schoolroom
Present Use Converted to Apartments
  To Top  
The Birks Chapel
Location Bridge Street Morley
Denomination Primitive Methodists
Known History Opened 1888. Closed 1960. Architect:  Mr. T. A. Buttery
Notes  
Present Use Converted to Apartments
  To Top  
The Brunswick Chapel
Location Albert Road
Denomination Primitive Methodist
Known History Foundation Stone laid in 1874. Closed 1963. Cost of Building and land £2000
Notes Many of the congregation transferred to Newlands Church
Present Use Church used as Industrial unit, until demolished and housing built
  To Top  
The Church of Christ
Location Zoar Street Morley
Denomination Non-Conformist
Known History  Founded in 1895 as an offshoot of Church of Christ,  Liversedge. Meetings were held in rented property in the Birks/Tingley Bar area until present chapel bought in 1905
Notes  The “Church” building has always been registered as “Christian Meeting Room”.
Present Use Active
  To Top  
The Church of Latter Day Saints
Location Bridge Street
Denomination Mormon
Known History  
Notes  
Present Use Active
   
Cross Hall Fletcher Memorial Chapel
Location Fountain Street
Denomination Wesleyan Methodist
Known History  First chapel erected 1879 but a second one replaced it in 1906.
Notes  Congregation moved to Central Methodist Church when the chapel closed.
Present Use Chapel converted to Apartments.
  To Top  
The Morley Community Church
Location Fountain Primary School, Fountain Street
Denomination Evangelical Alliance
Known History  Launched in January 2000.
Notes  
 Present Use Active
 To Top  
The Ebenezer Chapel
Location Fountain Street, Morley
Denomination Primitive Methodist
Known History Opened 13-September-1886. Closed 1960. Architect Mr. T. A. Buttery
Notes The church had its beginnings in Morley in 1820. It moved to various locations before it settled on the corner of what is now Fountain Street and Hungerhill from 1835 to 1886.
Present Use Converted to Apartments after times as a Supermarket and DIY store.
 To Top  
   

 

Morley Friends Adult School
Location Ackroyd Street
Denomination Quaker
Known History Opened 1895. Closed.
Notes Foundation Stone 1894
Present Use Converted to Apartments
 To Top  
The National Spiritualist Church
Location Junction Fountain Street & Oddfellow Street
Denomination Spiritualist
Known History  
Notes  
Present Use Siegen Housing complex
 To Top  
The Nazarene Pentecostal Church
Location Albion Street, Morley
Denomination Nazarene Pentecostal
Known History  
Notes Original building was destroyed in a gale. The roof was lifted and deposited at the side of the building.
Present Use Active
 To Top  
The Newlands Methodist Chapel
Location Albert Drive
Denomination Wesleyan Methodist
Known History Built 1963
Notes Some members were transferred from Brunswick Church
Present Use Active
 To Top  
Central Methodist Chapel
Location Wesley Street
Denomination Wesleyan Methodist
Known History The present building was opened 12 July 1861 but there had been a Methodist presence on this site since ca 1770 when John Wesley visited the town.
Notes Foundation Stone 1859. Laid by Rev. S. D. Waddy. A history of the Church, named ‘The Loving People’ was written in 1981 by Stephen W. Holliday.
Present Use Active
 To Top  
The Rehoboth Chapel
Location Dawson Hill / Brunswick Street
Denomination Congregational
Known History Opened 8 Oct 1835. Closed
Notes Foundation Stone: 26 Feb.1835. A History of the New Old Chapel and the Rehoboth Chapel was written in 1934 by the resident priest, Rev. P. Kightley.
Present Use Demolished
 To Top  
St. Francis of Assisi Church
Location Corporation Street, Morley
Denomination Roman Catholic
Known History Opened 1905
Notes 1898 a parish was created work started in 1904 to build a Church and School room. Re-furbished 2015.
Present Use Active
 To Top  
Morley Old Chapel
Location  Troy Hill, Morley
Denomination  Non-Conformist
Known History  Probable that there was a church on the site since the days of the Domesday Book but this was likely replaced around 1650 by the chapel which existed till the 19th Century.
Notes  It is not clear if this church was ever a member of the established Church of England. A History of the Chapel was written by the resident priest, Rev. J. Wonnacott, in 1859.
Present Use  Building demolished to make way for St Mary’s-in-the-Wood Chapel
 To Top  
Morley New Old Chapel
Location  Chapel Hill, Morley
Denomination  Non-conformist
Known History  Formed around 1765 as a group left the Old Chapel due to doctrinal differences.  Moved to the Rehoboth, Dawson Hill in 1834-35 after a disagreement with the landlord, Lord Dartmouth.
Notes  Graveyard still evident on Chapel Hill. For historical data see Rev. Kightley’s History of the Rehoboth Chapel, 1934.
Present Use  Building demolished. Date uncertain: early 20th Century.
To Top  
St. Mary’s-in-the-Wood Church
Location Troy Hill, Morley
Denomination Congregational
Known History Recent building5 Sep. 1878
Notes Architects: Lockwood & Mawson, Bradford. 1664 Royal coat of Arms set up in Nave of Church Building sold to a developer. Destroyed by Fire
Present Use Awaiting development
 To Top  
St. Mary’s Mission Chapel
Location Middleton Road, Morley
Denomination Congregational
Known History Opened 1889
Notes Foundation Stone 1889
Present Use For Sale
 To Top  
St. Paul’s Church
Location King Street, Morley
Denomination Anglican
Known History Consecrated: 23 Jan 1877
Notes Building extended with the Duchess of Devonshire laying a foundation stone: 16-September-1893. Reconsecrated: 25-January-1895. MLHS articles: MLHS Y5,36-38 by Moira McCutcheon;  MLHs Y, by Clive McManus
Present Use Active
 To Top  
St. Peter’s Church
Location Rooms Lane, Morley
Denomination Anglican
Known History Consecrated on 30-August-1830.  First Anglican (ie Established) church in Morley where non-conformism had been the principal religion for the previous 150 years or so. Renovated in 1885.
Notes  Architect: R. Dennis Chantrell. Financial help from the Government and Lord Dartmouth. Was originally in Batley Parish but later became the Parish Church of Morley. A booklet on the history of the Church was written by David J. Ingham in 1980. Also, see MLHS, Y6,7-12 by Robert Dennis.
Present Use Active
 To Top  
The Morley Spiritualist Church
Location  Zoar Street
Denomination  
Known History Moved from Fountain Street: 1960c
Notes  
Present Use Active
 To Top  
The Salvation Army
Location Ackroyd Street, Morley
Denomination Salvationists
Known History Opened 31 Aug 1907 but Salvationists met in the town from 1882 in Commercial Street.
Notes Foundation Stone  laid: 6 Apr. 1907
Present Use Active
 To Top  
The Temperance Hall
Location Fountain Street, Morley
Denomination Temperance Society
Known History  Building erected in 1895. mi
Notes  
Present Use Converted to Apartments
 To Top  
The Zion Independent Chapel
Location Merlyn Rees Way, Morley
Denomination Calvinists
Known History  Erected in 1857. Renovated in 1885.
Notes Brick building. Originally fronted onto Queen Street
Present Use Active
 To Top  
The Zoar Particular Baptist Chapel
Location Commercial Street Morley
Denomination Baptists
Known History  
Notes Corner stone laid: 1873, opened in 1883.
Present Use Labour Party Rooms
To Top