Mills : Adelaide- Fountain Street

Details of Morley Mills: Adelaide Mill to Fountain St Mill

The map at the link shows the position of the mills in the town (where this is known)

 

Adelaide (1)
City (9)
Dean Hall (17)
Albert (2)
Cliffe (10)
Field (18)
Albion (3)
Cobden (11)
Flush Croft (19)
Alexandra (4)
Commercial St (12)
Fountain St (20)
Britannia (5)
Cotton (13)
 
Brunswick (6)
Crank (14)
 
Bruntcliffe (7)
Daisy Hill (15)
 
Churwell Dyeworks (8)
Deanfield (16)
 
 
 
Adelaide (1)
Location Middleton Road
Best known Owners JOHN WILSON (Gildersome) Ltd
Oliver Foster
Bryden & Wilson Ltd
Known History Still working for textile purposes in 1968
Notes on Textile Manufacture Built in last 20 years of 19th Century. Worked until 1960s.
Use of site Used by: BDC Electrical Eng, Fybagrate Products, County Classic Upholstery until the building was demolished and modern apartments were erected.
 Top    
Albert (2)  

 

Location Princess Street
Best known Owners LEATHLEY & SAVILLE
Page & Leathley
E & K Bradley
Dennis Moss
Henry Lister & Co
A. Barrowclough & Co
Known History In existence in 1876
In existence in 1866
Notes on Textile Manufacture Built 1867/68. Bought in 1874 by Barrowclough for £18250. Burnt down on 18-August-1961. Had wide variety of joint ownership and occupancy.
Use of site No signs of the mill. Area occupied by Morrison’s warehouses parking and petrol facilities.
  Top 
Albion (3)
Location Church Street
Best known Owners R & J HORSFALL
John Mitchell
Barron & Stockwell
Known History In existence in 1876
Notes on Textile Manufacture Built about 1860 on a site used for a windmill which had scribbled wool. 15/7/1905: Great fire on 16-June-1950 when the whole mill was burnt down. 150 people thrown out of work.
Use of site Only offices remain from the fire. Now used by various small companies – eg Saxon Wrought Iron; Auto Beal Factors.
 Top   
Alexandra (4)
Location Baker Street
Best known Owners WALTER B. STOCKWELL
Known History Still working for textile purposes in 1968
Notes on Textile Manufacture Built in 1896. Mungo and shoddy manufacturers. Rag merchants into the 1970s.
Use of site in 1995 Building in good condition: Occupants: The Jam Factory Tupperware
Top  
Britannia (5)
Location Britannia Road
Best known Owners Wm BAINES’ Sons Ltd
Jas. Ross
and others
Known History In existence in 1866 and 1876.
Notes on Textile Manufacture Built about 1860 and it manufactured textiles for just over 100 years.
Use of site Stone buildings demolished. Brickwork renovated by ASDA. Mermaid Fish restaurant also on the site.
 Top
Brunswick (6)
Location Ackroyd Street
Best known Owners WILSON & SWALLOW
J.W.Greaves & Co
Sugden & Co
Marsdens Successors
W & A Boyd Ltd
Known History Still working for textile purposes in 1968
Notes on Textile Manufacture Built about 1878 demolished in 1980s. One of last Morley mills to close.
Use of site Site cleared on closure for housing near Seven Hills Primary School.
 Top 
Bruntcliffe (7)
Location Bruntcliffe Lane
Best known Owners Thom STEPHENSON & Co
Keighley & Moorhouse
O H Hartley
Walter Bradley
Known History  
Notes on Textile Manufacture 3/4 storey mill built in 1892.Textiles manufactured for 80 years; huge fire gutted building in November-1975 when used by Napcolor.
Use of site Now single storey used by Magnet Joinery. Re-roofed
 Top  
Churwell Dyeworks (8) 
(aka Junction Dyeworks)
Location Elland Road
Best known Owners Geo. HEPWORTH & Sons
Known History  
Notes on Textile Manufacture Built about 1850 near beck at bottom of Churwell Hill. Closed just after WW2.
Use of site Site cleared after closure. Former clothing factory and garage built in 1960s.
  Top
City (9)
Location Peel Street: When going down-hill: Old mill to left New mill to right:
Best known Owners Saml. JOHNSON & Co
Known History Still working for textile purposes in 1968
Notes on Textile Manufacture Oldest part built in 1880s by Geo. Johnson for brother Samuel. Destroyed by fire 18/4/1903.
Use of site Textiles made until mid 1970s .Much of old mill demolished with just some remains for A J Motors. New mill has various cleaning and auto repair companies.
 Top
Cliffe (10)
Location Bruntcliffe Road
Best known Owners Wm. SMITH & Co
Known History Still working for textile purposes in 1968
Notes on Textile Manufacture Mungo manufacture and dyeing for most of 90 years of production. Still working in 1972
Use of site in 1995 Several buildings remain and are used by a variety of organisations. 

 

 Top
Cobden (11)
Location No information on location.
Best known Owners Jas. SHARP
Known History In existence in 1876
Notes on Textile Manufacture Wm. Smith list of 1876 states it had 30L 1200S. No other information.
Use of site in 1995  
 Top
Commercial Street (12)
Location Commercial Street
Best known Owners GREENWOOD & WALSH Ltd
Also owned Peel St Mills.
Known History Still working for textile purposes in 1968
Notes on Textile Manufacture Used (as the Perseverance Works) from 1902-11 by Ackroyd & Best for producing miners’ safety lamps before they moved to Texas St. G&W took it over in 1911 and it was still in use in 1972
Use of site Redeveloped as apartments.
 Top
Cotton (13)
Location In the vicinity of the White Rose centre beyond Valley Road
Best known Owners JOHN WETHERILL
Known History  
Notes on Textile Manufacture Application made to Lord Dartmouth in 1785 to build scribbling mill by JW. Still working in 1861.
Use of site Converted into a house when manufacture ceased. Demolished now.
 Top  Crank (14)  
Location Station Road
Best known Owners KIRK & STEEL Ltd
Ainley & Stephenson
William Dixon
J F & W Broadbent
Charles Hirst & Bro
Known History In existence in 1876
Notes on Textile Manufacture Built 1790 by Lord Dartmouth for the Websters for scribbling and carding services. First steam mill in Yorkshire. Mill chimney blown down: 3/1/1823. Closed for textile purposes in 1979.
Use of site Oldest part is now a listed building.
 Top 
Daisy Hill (15)
Location Daisy Hill
Best known Owners MORTIMER & Co
Hill & Brooke
David Hartley
Known History  
Notes on Textile Manufacture 11/1/83: Mill chimney blown down. 4-February-1915: Severe fire damage estimated at £5000. A substantial mill but closed during the inter-war depression after about 60 years manufacture.
Use of site Site completely cleared and used for a housing development.
 Top  
Deanfield (16)
Location Asquith Avenue
Best known Owners JAMES BARKER Ltd
Known History  
Notes on Textile Manufacture Founded 1872 by James Barker first of 4 generations of family to run the mill. Textiles manufactured for about 80 years.
Use of site in 1995 Main mill building still standing and is in use by 4 small and diverse companies.
 Top
Dean Hall (17)
(aka Morley Finishing Mill)
Location Bruntcliffe Lane opposite Corporation Street
Best known Owners J & D BROOK Ltd
Jarvis & Hartley
Frank Allen & Co
Morley Cloth Finishing Co
Known History In existence in 1876
Still working for textile purposes in 1968
Notes on Textile Manufacture Foundation stone laid 2/5/1872. Initially used for finishing process but became a fully integrated mill around 1900 operating for about 70 years. Still in production in 1972.
Use of site Much of original mill demolished. chimney knocked down and dam filled in. Now a housing estate.
  Top
Field (18)
Location Little Fountain Street
Best known Owners A.C. WATSON Ltd :
G H Hinchliffe Ltd who also owned Providence Mill
Saml. Stockdale & Son
Sykes & Gaunt
J W Appleyard
Known History Still working for textile purposes in 1968
Notes on Textile Manufacture 11/12/83: Much storm damage. A cloth-producing mill for about 100 years. A C Watson moved there in 1927.
Use of site  Fire in 1979 but then no longer a mill. Most of mill buildings replaced by modern sheds in brick warehouse from old mill used by Fentons.
 Top
Flush Croft (19)
Location Crofton Terrace Wide Lane
Best known Owners BANKS Bros.
Known History  
Notes on Textile Manufacture In 1905 was used as a rag warehouse and for production of mungo and shoddy. In operation for about 50 years.
Use of site Now part of Kalon group of Paint and Chemical manufacturers.
 Top
Fountain Street (20)
Location Fountain Street
Best known Owners WATSON Bros. Ltd
A C Watson
Oliver Foster
John Driver
Known History In existence in 1876
Notes on Textile Manufacture A C Watson started here in 1891 before moving to Field Mill. Closed in 1966 as a textile mill after about 90 years operation.
Use of site Stone mill building demolished in mid 2014 and a modern housing complex built on the site.