Mills: Quarry to Wesley Street

Details of Morley Mills: Quarry Mills to Wesley Street Mills

The map at the link shows the position of the mills in the town (where this is known)

 

Quarry (42)
Springfield (47)
Victoria (52)
Queen’s (43)
Texas (48)
Wellington (53)
Rods (44)
Tingley (49)
Wesley Street (54)
Southfield (45)
Topcliffe (50)
 
Spout Well (46) 
Valley (51)
 
Top  
Quarry (42)
Location High Street
Best known Owners DAVID SCHOLES Ltd
Nathan H Pickersgill
David Scholes
Known History In existence in 1876
In existence in 1866
Notes on Textile Manufacture Developed in piecemeal fashion on both sides of High St. Operated for about 100 years from the 1860s.
Use of site  All the old stone parts are now demolished. The newer brick part with concrete (not wooden) floors still stands and is under development.
   
 Top  
Queen’s (43)
Location Albion Street
Best known Owners J & S RHODES Ltd – see Prospect Mill
J Stanhope and Son
J Ross
Known History In existence in 1876
In existence in 1866
Notes on Textile Manufacture By the time the Town Hall was built it was a substantial building and it dominated the rear of the civic building. Rhodes’ purchased it in 1890 and concentrated on scribbling and spinning. Closed about 1960.
Use of site Demolished about 1962 with no trace now remaining. The site is now a part of Morrison’s Supermarket main store and some of the adjoining car park.
   
 Top 
Rods (44)
Location Rods Mill Lane
Best known Owners WATSON & HOLTON
Isaac C Watson & Son
J & S Webster
Watson Rhodes & Co
Crowther & Hudson
Isaac Crowther
Known History In existence in 1876
In existence in 1866
Notes on Textile Manufacture It was a textile factory from 1800 to the 1930s the second steam-driven mill in the town. Tattered history:- 4/1/1802: destroyed by fire; 14/4/1824 : mill burnt down; 11/12/1889: Serious fire. Taken over by Harry Hardy in the 1930s for use as a chemical and fertiliser manufacturer and fumigation service supplier.
Use of site Croft House built by Isaac Crowther next to the mill still stands. Rentokil were the last company to use the site after Harry Hardy. The site is derelict.
   
 Top 
Southfield (45)
Location Topcliffe Lane
Best known Owners BARRON & Co
N H Pickersgill’s Successors
Known History Still working for textile purposes in 1968
Notes on Textile Manufacture Relatively modern rag warehouse and shoddy mill that is still producing blend today. About 90 years old.
Use of site in 1995 Barron & Co still collect and distribute rags and produce all grades of shoddy and mungo.
   
 Top 
Spout Well (46)
Location Position not known.
Best known Owners JOHN GREENWOOD
Known History In existence in 1876
Notes on Textile Manufacture Only known information is that it existed in 1876 with 3 rag machines.
Use of site in 1995  
   
 Top 
Springfield (47)
Location Springfield Lane
Best known Owners HIELD Bros Ltd
Hudson Sykes & Bousfield Ltd
Hudson Sykes & Co
Dixon Nicholls & Co
Known History In existence in 1876
In existence in 1866
Still working for textile purposes in 1968
Notes on Textile Manufacture Built in 1860s and used by Hudson et al from 1874 to 1930s when it was taken over by Hield Bros. Still involved in textile production.
Use of site The mill buildings were demolished and replaced by modern housing.
   
 Top 
Texas (48)
Location Texas Street
Best known Owners THOMAS AMBLER Ltd
Associated Weavers Ltd
Morley Cotton Spinning Co Ltd
Known History  
Notes on Textile Manufacture Like other mills in the area was built in 1906. The structure collapsed in the late 1940s. Built to produce cotton warps for Morley trade.
Use of site The site was cleared after the structural collapse when machinery fell through the floors. 
 Top  
Tingley (49)
Location Bridge Street/Tingley Common
Best known Owners HUMPHREY BRADLEY Ltd
Known History Still working for textile purposes in 1968
Notes on Textile Manufacture Wm Smith regarded this as an Ardsley mill. Built as 7-bay mill in 1868. Extended to the road-side with 13 window rows in 1880s.
Use of site After a period (after closure as a textile mill) as Tingley Bar Industrial Estate with around 16 small diverse companies on the site, the mill building and surrounds have been converted in 2017-18  into apartments and parking areas.
   
 Top  
Topcliffe (50)
Location Topcliffe Lane
Best known Owners DAVID BANKS

Wilsons (Topcliffe) Ltd

Known History Still working for textile purposes in 1968
Notes on Textile Manufacture Dated 1906. 3-storey 10 bay block. Banks’ were mungo and shoddy manufacturers and rag merchants. Used about 70 years for original purpose.
Use of site in 1995 Building in good condition. 
   
 Top  
Valley (51)
Location Valley Road
Best known Owners J & S RHODES Ltd
Chas Scarth & Sons Ltd
Valley Mills Co
A Scott & Son
Known History In existence in 1876
In existence in 1866
Notes on Textile Manufacture The last steam-driven mill built down the Valley Beck before Morley had piped water. 12/1/1887: Burnt down. Bought by Rhodes’ in 1919.
Use of site  Building was beyond the gas works near Morley Low Station. Finally it burnt down and was demolished. 
   
 Top  
Victoria (52)
Location Brunswick Street
Best known Owners BENN & WEBSTER Ltd
S Binks
James Sharp
Known History In existence in 1876
In existence in 1866
Still working for textile purposes in 1968
Notes on Textile Manufacture On site of a former dye-works this was a typical Morley Mil in size and output. Failed to re-open in early 1970s after the Morley Feast Holidays. Textile operations for 110 years.
Use of site  After standing empty for 15 years it was finally converted into Victoria Court luxury flats in an excellent scheme which has further housing in area of outbuildings and dams of old mill.
   
 Top  
Wellington (53)
Location Bridge Street
Best known Owners WILLIAM SCARTH – also worked in part of Field part of Albert Mills.
J Webster & Son
Thomas Briggs
Known History In existence in 1876
In existence in 1866
Notes on Textile Manufacture Part of Wm. Scarth’s much larger concern. Converted to making of textile machinery by Lumb Walshaw & White.
Use of site in 1995 A section demolished for the Bridge St/High St round-about.
   
 Top  
Wesley Street (54) 
(aka Perseverance in 1863 Local Board Survey)
Location Wesley Street
Best known Owners CHAS. SCARTH & SONS LTD
W Ramsden
E Ellis
Known History In existence in 1876
In existence in 1866
Notes on Textile Manufacture Textile mill from about 1860 to inter-war depression years. Folded when Chas. Scarth & Sons went bankrupt. Oldest parts near Queen Street have been demolished but the base of what was Morley’s tallest mill chimney is still visible behind the Yorkshire Bank.
Use of site The only mill (partially) on Queen St. The town centre buildings were demolished in the 1930s for Woolworth’s and Boots (both now replaced). Fire Station and morgue during WW2. Main building refurbished in 1970s. Now the Environment Agency and Social Security Benefits Agency.